Sunday, March 29, 2009

kindness

Russian men
aren't exactly known for their
kindness.
Understandably then
I was apprehensive when he
approached as I was loading
my groceries.
"Someone hit your van while
you were shopping.
It was a small bump and I checked
for you, there's no damage.
If there were,
I would have taken his plate
number."
"спасибо"
I answered.
So little random kindness is shown
in my adopted
country.
I thought about
it
as I waved to my helper
and drove on my way.
And...instead of racing the pedestrians,
I let them pass in front of me.
Instead of pushing my way forward
in the left-turn lane,
I let a few cars in.
Interesting
how one person
showing a little bit of kindness
and caring
can lead to another.
And I became a little less
"one of them"
and returned a bit to
"me."

5 comments:

JL said...

i'll never forget your "russianness" come out while standing in line at lagoon.

Sue said...

Awww, Josie, you are like that insurance commercial in real life.

Oh, you probably don't get American commercials on Russian television.

BTW, thanks soooo much for sharing your wisdom and experience with Emily & James. They are so excited about future possibilities and potential now.

Josie said...

That was SO funny Jen! I don't know who was more surprised--you or the guy I confronted :)!

Josie said...

Uh...yeah, Sue...no clue what you are talking about. :)

Sue said...

So, did you know that The Amazing Race went to Russia this year? We hoped they'd spend more time in Moscow but they really just flew in and out from there. I do love that show and secretly wish that was me racing around the world.

If you want to link to me, I'd love to return the favor. I'll try to include more ward members for you :-)