Jake has a cold. I thought the runny nose was just from him working on the arrival of his eighth tooth. Maybe that's how it started....
We recently changed our international health insurance and haven't actually tested it here in Russia. We decided to attempt to use our Russian health insurance. So, I take Jake to the doctor last fall and find out--oops. The Russian insurance doesn't cover the European Medical Center where we are accustomed to going. But....it does cover a house call by a pediatrician!
So, last Friday a pediatrician comes. She looks at Jake. She looks at Sage (who had a fever) for good measure. She promptly prescribes medicine....exactly the meds that no one in the states is allowed to give their kids under six anymore. Hmmm... I buy them, but only give the saline for congestion. Out of nowhere on Monday this pediatrician, Elena, calls and says she needs to see Jake again. Okay I say. She comes on Tuesday. He has no fever. He has a bit of a runny nose. He coughs about once a day. Sounds like normal progression to me. She listens to his chest. She lays him across her knees and bounces him while pounding on his back..."uhhh, What are you doing?" I ask. "Just making sure the congestion doesn't go to his chest." He's screaming. I'm pretty sure this is how shaken baby syndrome happens. She wants me to do this three times a day....continue the meds....I didn't tell I haven't been giving them. Elena then says, "He needs a specialeest...a masseuse....she will come on Monday....another house call....she is a specialeest."
I confess, I'm scared to see who shows up and what she does. On the other hand....what do I have to do to get a house call by a masseuse?
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow. House calls, and shaking babies, and slightly shady medicine... sounds like Russia! Good luck on Monday!
A house call by a pediatrician sounds awesome. Shaking my baby until he screams...not so awesome. I wouldn't know what to do. Let us know how the massage goes. I'm a little jealous. :)
Nick tells us some of the fun superstitions they have from there...I'm not sure what I'd do when they started trying them on a baby. Can't you transfer the massage to his mother? That would be worth it.
Post a Comment